How to Eat a Perfect Diet for Spring.
During the winter months we all eat heavier foods and store more fat to fortify against the cold. Unfortunately, the heavy food also leads to a build-up of digestive impurities (m). The first step is to loosen the toxins by eating a lighter, detoxifying diet. This will help your digestive system clear away the toxins that are weighing you down.
● Naturally the spring harvest is the smallest harvest of the year.
● Green shoots are just coming up out of the ground.
● Green, bitter foods are a wonderful way to counteract the accumulation of Kapha dosha in the Springtime.
● Ayurveda encourages the use of all 6 tastes in our diet but the BITTER taste is favored in springtime.
● The bitter taste is catabolic and drying. It clears congestion and reduces mucous. It also helps our intestinal flora.
● Dandelion is a good herbal tea for this season as is a Kapha Tea (see Tea recipe)
● Favor easy-to-digest fruits, vegetables and rain.
● Suggested fruits include cooked prunes, figs, apples, pears, pineapples and papayas.
● Detoxifying cooked vegetables include leafy greens, Brussels sprouts, and crucifers such as cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.
● For grains, eat fresh flatbreads such as chapati, quinoa, barley, amaranth, and kanji (rice water made by cooking eight parts
water with one part rice).
● Kitcheree (lentils cooked with rice) is a good choice (see recipes).
● Season your food with detoxifying spices such as turmeric, black pepper, and fresh ginger.
● Eat fresh, organic foods.
● Avoid canned, frozen, packaged or processed foods, as these are difficult to digest and contribute to toxic buildup.
● Stay away from heavy foods like red meat, leftovers, fried foods, oily foods, yeasted breads, sugary desserts, crackers and dairy products such as cheese and yogurt. These are hard to digest.
● Drink eight cups of pure, filtered water a day. Hot water especially helps melt toxins and facilitates their flow out of the body.
● If you are hungry between meals, drink boiled milk with a pinch of cardamo.
● Avoid cold foods and cold drinks, as these interfere with digestion and create more toxins.
● A little purgation with herbal formulas may also be appropriate if the body is well prepared for this with appropriate diet and oils. Otherwise herbal formulas may be too drying.